Got an email from Julie-Anne Gower who with her family looked after me while I was over in South Africa, working (playing;)) on her property with her horses. They’re looking for someone to fill a position on their farm for at least 12 months. If you’re considering a visit to South Africa, love riding and the beach, read on!
POSITION OF INSTRUCTOR – TRAIL GUIDE – ASSISTANT
Situated on a farm on the Wild Coast of South Africa, about 1 hour north along the coast from East London is a property that requires a general assistant to help with the running of our equine business.
WHAT WE DO:
– 6-7 night Wild Coast Horse Trails – our clients are from UK, Europe and the USA
– Working Riding Holidays for young riders 18 to 30 year age group – they stay with us for 1 or 2 months at a time â€“ they come to ride, help out and have fun.
– Torstone Sport Horse Stud – Arabian, part Arab and Anglo Arabs – 45+ horse’s altogether, 3 Arab Stallions, 15 working trail horses (Boerperd/Arab/TB), a couple of competitive/prospective endurance horses, brood mares and young stock.
– 1-2 hour & half day Beach rides for holiday makers in Kei Mouth and Morgan Bay.
– We practice natural horsemanship, our horse are all barefoot and live out 24/7/365
– Clint (Julie-Anne’s husband) is a professional Hunter and also does deep sea fishing charters.
– Cattle/game farm
WHAT WE REQUIRE OF YOU:
– A South African Visa valid for at least 12 months or be a South African Citizen permanent resident
– Commit to at least 12 months of employment.
– Drivers license is mandatory.
– Pleasant out going personality that enjoys working with people.
– Teaching experience – a recogniwed qualification would be preferable – experience teaching young adults in flat work/dressage and schooling young horses.
– A general working understanding of â€œnatural horsemanship
– Previous experience in bringing on and schooling horses in basic dressage and jumping (You will be shown how we start our un-ridden young horses)
– A hands on do it yourself attitude to grooming, general horse care and stable management.
– Contactable references
Your primary responsibility:
– Teaching – riding lessons/schooling/out rides/or starting young horses in the Working Riding Holiday program. Schooling and exercising the working horses.
– Generally assist in the day to day care of the horses.
– You will be required to look after the Beach Horses and be trail guide taking clients out riding when we have bookings.
– Promote and actively source beach rides in the villages of Kei Mouth, Morgan Bay and surrounding area.
– To relieve the other staff on days off.
– Assist when necessary on the over night trails, either as back stop rider or back up driver.
– Generally fill in and help out where necessary.
WHAT WE OFFER:
– A negotiable salary per month, dependant on your qualification and the amount of experience you have.
– We have a separate house for our assistants to live in. This accommodation is shared with other employees and or work riders.
– An environment that offers you a chance to be part of the team, and our family
– Place for your own horse if you have one.
– Commissions on beach rides
– 15 working days Annual general leave
– Collect days off and either go away for a few days once a month or take a longer break every second month.
– “Free” days to go into East London and do shopping etc when it’s quiet.
– Generally we start at 8 am and finish around 5 pm – sometimes its longer – sometimes shorter and the hours are flexible.
– This is a full time, long term position and we are looking for someone who can commit to being with us, and be part of the team that grows our business.
– If you are interested, please send us a detailed CV including details of your riding experience and your expected starting salary.
– For more info on whom we are and what we do, please go to our web site http://www.wildcoasthorsesafari.co.za.
“Silence takes on a new quality when the only sound is that of regular and smooth hoof beats…” – Bertrand Leclair