It’s in your control to know equine events of significance in your industry. Consider your equine field and the major events that are coming up or that are run on a regular basis. Some examples:
- The Cheltenham Festival in the UK is coming up in March for horse racing enthusiasts
- Equitana was run in November and is run annually in Australia for equine enthusiasts, particularly equestrian
- The Melbourne Premier Yearling Sales are coming up in March for thoroughbred fans
I’m preparing a list of potential horse business contacts that I’ve studied or worked with over the years since finishing high school and it’s exciting and astounding to see how many my age are now running their own horse business! Mine is a bit of research for plans of releasing my book (link) for sale this year.
But it’s gotten me thinking about people building up their equine network. The great thing is that what you know can help you to develop who you know.
If you’re unsure of what is available – do your research! Surely there are clubs or organisations that publicise events of interest. So what is your field? Is it horse riding related, racing, breeding, carriage driving, instructing, or something else?
Once you have an area (or areas!) start to do some research that can put you out in the industry meeting key people and building up contacts:
- What events are on during the year that are local, interstate or international?
- Where, when and does it cost to go?
- What clubs can be joined to meet with other enthusiasts and learn from and with them?
- Where, how often do they meet and does it cost?
- Are there online groups that can be joined?
Starting with these questions will hopefully give you some key events throughout the year that you can look out for and plan to attend. Definitely being a regular at such events will help you to build up a contact base in the industry you’re interested in.
“One reason why birds and horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other birds and horses.” – Dale Carnegie, How To Win Friends and Influence People