So a friend of mine is keen to further encourage a breed that isn’t very common in Australia and we’ve been talking of future plans once she has enough saved to import.
She also expressed an interest in writing a booklet for those new to this particular breed which I think is a great idea.
Have you thought of importing a particular breed that has better bloodlines elsewhere or isn’t easy to acquire in your area? When looking at horses as a business, there are many things to consider:
- How much is the horse going to cost?
- What are quarantine regulations and time restraints?
- Will the horse cope with your local environment?
- How will you get the breed of horse known in your local vicinity?
- Will you buy a horse in the flesh, import semen or send your mare overseas to be bred to a stallion?
Food for thought! I’m excited about this future prospect and can’t wait until I’m in a position to consider importing horses and breed my own in the future 🙂
“Poverty is another word for owning a horse…”